Read the post about the Flow of Play first.
Before we dive into the dice mechanic, Characters in brief:
LEDNIK Characters have 3 Traits; Party, Ministry and Doctrine. A later post will go into more detail. Suffice that Party describes how the Character is connected to the Communist Party, their core values and which Committee they answer to. Ministry is who they work for and access to relevant Assets and Resources. Doctrine is a measure of their absolute loyalty to the Party versus their exposure to the spiritual powers of the Valley. All three Traits are scored from 6 to 1 but these scores are not directly relevant to deciding Risks and Outcomes.
1 Who adopts the responsibility for the Player’s Plan? The Leader may not receive the most benefit from the outcome or pay the heaviest price but everyone who was there will remember it was all because of them.
2 The Leader can allocate a d6 each if their Party and or Ministry Traits are relevant to the Plan. They can add another dice if they choose to risk Doctrine. They must have at least one dice and can have up to 3 dice. Use coloured dice, Red for Party, Green for Ministry and White for Doctrine.
3. The Leader Rolls the Dice. The lowest result is the number of Challenges that emerge while the Players are executing their Plan. If more than one die is equally low, choose which one is the Lead result. If Doctrine is one of the dice with the lowest result, it is the Lead Result.
4. Players discuss the Challenges. Choose from this list to describe each Challenge:
- Consequence- An outcome that seems likely given the Change, Plan and Status Quo but may be at a heightened intensity than expected.
- Complication- An unexpected additional outcome of the actions taken that has an impact that was not directly expected given the Change, Plan and Status Quo.
- Compromise- The Challenging nature of events as they are unfolding means that the plan may need to be revised. This compromise will be for a less favourable Outcome than had originally been envisaged.
The Referee always describes the last Challenge, guided by the Scope process that was completed prior to Risk and Outcomes.
5. Players can use Assets and Resources to Offset up to 3 Challenges. Describe how each Challenge was overcome and the cost. Players note expended Resources and Assets.
6. If any Challenges were Offset, the Referee notes this for Loyalty Tracking (see future post).
7. Referee discusses the Outcome with the Players to then Narrate and Update the Status Quo. The Lead Result is a Filter that helps the Referee narrate the Outcome;
- Party – Connections / Command
- Ministry – Competence
- Doctrine – Conviction